Squad Celebration: 7, Tomas Rosicky

Posted by Gooner Get Ya Friday 5 September 2008 11:31

Dumpling was one of the players bought by Arsene having had him score against us in the Champions league. I have always enjoyed having him in the side but he seems to be another one of the off-games kids. He has only made 44 league appearances for us in the 2 seasons. When we bought him I was really excited and thought he was going to be the perfect replacement for Bobby Pires, in terms of his general play he has not been disappointing.

My one problem with him is that goal he scored for the Czech Republic in the World Cup ’06. A stunning strike, the trouble with it is that it had pushed my expectations of him up further. He then Scored that absolute belter against HSV (Hamburg) from 30 yards. My problem with him scoring these 2 rippers so early in his career is that it has built him up in my mind to be a goalscorer, something we really need in the midfield. Nasri could be in the same boat thought. Since then there have been 13 goals scored by 'Little Mozart'.

When I started writing this I began to think actually he has been pretty quiet other than that Liverpool pair of goals. I thought I could say about his assists but there have only been 6 in 61 games, statistically that is weak compared to Theo who has made 13 assists from less starts than Rosicky.

I have started to doubt whether he will make it into the starting lineup when he gets back to full fitness. This is a strange one, the Arsenal squad doesn’t really have a lot of depth but it seems that there is competition for places, especially in midfield. I think the problem is a similar style of player for some of the midfield roles Nasri and Rosicky both seem to be playing the same sort of game. Nasri it seems is a bit more edgy though. Although Rosicky is a good all round player he does not offer us much in terms of being a match winner just a steady player. In saying this I also realise that he has the attacking skills to be scoring the 15 goals a season we need from some of our midfielders.

He faces an important couple of months in order to show why he is worthy of a start.

Arsenal News

Comments (2)

wow, what a celebration...

I'll be the first to admit that Rosicky has way too many injury problems, but I feel he's always been a bit under-appreciated by Arsenal fans everywhere. When he's on the field passes and movement flows like an ocean of attacking football. His passes as well as his amazing runs fool even the greatest defenders. Plus, who can forget that amazing stride-for-stride run against Cronaldo last season! You should replace your post with what I just wrote, I'll allow it. :)