Squad Celebration: 18, Mikael Silvestre

Posted by Gooner Get Ya Thursday 11 September 2008 17:59

Obviously we all remember him from United and it was a massive shock when it was revealed that we had signed him from the dirty Berkshire based team, Opps that’s just their supporters!

I think Silvestre could well be a great piece of business for us as backup for the first team. Apparently he was allowed to go because Ferguson couldn’t promise him first team football. Now this would emply that the Red Army could. This brings a tricky selection problem, who do we drop for this Man U reject? Sorry if that appears harsh but that is how it seems to the rest of the Premiership teams. I bet spurs fans were laughing (I wouldn’t know I don't associate myself with them!). Are we going to drop Kolo our vice captain? Gallas, our captain? Clichy, left back of the season? Cesc, Our Playmaker or will it be one of about 6 players fighting for the other place in our midfield (Song, Diaby, Denilson, Ramsey, Bischoff and Eboue apparently)?

I think as a squad player and potentially a mentor to the young defensive players in our squad then he will be great, I just can’t see him starting.

Comment (1)

Neither can I see him starting. As I said in my blog, doesn't it say something that he was a Man Utd reject? I just hope he doesn't leave us as well due to not regularly getting first-team football. Like you said he'd be a great example for the younger players in the defense but I hope he's content for that.