Squad Celebration: 1, Manuel Almunia

Posted by Gooner Get Ya Wednesday 3 September 2008 19:35

I have always had a lot of time for Almunia. I think he was well behaved and it must be hard to shine the pine every week but he did it with dignity, sadly Jens struggled with that. Manu seems like a decent bloke as well, having seen interviews with him he seems like he actually cares for the team and its players. I am drawn to the quote about Theo saying he is “too lovely”. I think Almunia would be a fair shout for captain because he is not only one of our most consistent players but also seems to have a great temperament.

Almunia has never made a first team appearance for the main clubs he played for before Arsenal (Osasuna and Celta). I find this hard to believe due to the fact that he’s a good stopper. In the Actim ratings last season he came 2nd behind David James.

I have a theory on goalkeeping, if you stick someone truly horrifying in the nets they are going to be more effective. The proof of this is Peter Schmeichel – Scary stuff, David Seaman - weird tash, Petr Cech – Scrum cap, Tim Howard – Tourettes. Is it a coincidence that Almunia came good when he dyed his hair bright blonde? The man looks possessed!

Great guy, I think he will have another great season and I really do want to see him in the goal for England.

Arsenal News

Comments (0)