Squad Celebration: 4, Cesc Fabregas

Posted by Gooner Get Ya Thursday 4 September 2008 13:44

What can you say about him? He is 60 days older than me and has;
1 European Championship winners medal,
1 Champions League runners up medal,
1 FA Cup winners medal,
2 Arsenal.com player of the season awards,
3 PFA awards, good ones, Young player of the year etc.

To prove to the success of the lad we shall compare him to no one other than myself;
1 Yetholm Primary School 7 A Side winners medal. (a competition where I made a boy 3 years my senior cry by sliding in the back of him, Keown would have been proud considering I didn’t even get booked!).

I think you may have realised that Cesc is pretty special. I have got some statistics, I love statistics, I love the Churchill quote regarding statistics “there are lies, damned lies and statistics” but I think these speak for themselves;
- 17 assists last season, the most in the League. Almost a ¼ of all Arsenal assists
- 25.5 minutes per chance created, least in the League.
- 81% pass success rate, with the most passes in the League.
I think these prove a point. I also think that these are beginning to become a bit too dominant for us. Cesc is amazing but is he too good? The games against FC 20 and Fulham showed that we are pushing on for being a one man team. If we lose him for a few months will be able to cope? I don't think we can, the only way is if Nasri can share the responsibility with Cesc for being a playmaker.

Fabregas is also massively influential on the pitch, not only as a role model for the youth players but also on the pitch for the likes of Denilson, I rate this young Brazilian but his performance against the Neutral Standers (Fulham, they have a section of their stand for neutral fans cos they can’t fill the ground!) was one of the worst I have seen in the Red and White of Kings. However, what a difference Fab makes, against Newcastle he looked so much calmer and relaxed and had a pretty good game. This I imagine is because of the care teams have to take in marking the wee legend.

Recently I managed to acquire Sky TV, I saw the last 10 minutes of the Fabregas show, it was awful, it was dumbed down so much and I was hoping it would show the real Fabregas but instead it was some sort of Soccer AM waste of my time. Football players get such a bad press and to be honest there are a lot of pretty ropey ones about (there seem to be loads down the 7 Sis road), I am sick of trying to defend these morons to rugby fans. I have always regarded Jonny Wilkinson to be the perfect role model for kids until I discovered some of the things Fabregas has done; his charity work – often overlooked by the tabloid rats, the time he spends signing autographs and stuff like that but most importantly he spends a lot of his time of the training pitch studying for his school exams. This may not sound like much but I think it is admirable.

My question is when was the last time he had a bad game? Oh and does he have a kid Brother Arsene can buy?

Arsenal News

Comments (2)

This comment has been removed by the author.

Great article, but in relation to the statistics, didn't Fabregas get 19 assists last season? I heard on the Premier League Review DVD I bought that he recorded 19 assists, a new league record. Oh well, whatever the number, this guy's amazing. In case you can't tell by my user and blog name, he's my favourite player.

Serious typos in my first post BTW...