Squad Celebration: 5, Kolo Toure

Posted by Gooner Get Ya Thursday 4 September 2008 18:18

King Kolo is one of my favourite players not only because he is the longest serving but also because of his work rate and attitude. I don’t think vice captain is good enough for him really.

Toure is apparently the most popular African player because the Africans love strong defenders (yet the African Cup of Nations seems to be flowing fast attack based football). Although he is obviously an absolute unit he is also a very fair player. This needs to be encouraged.

Kolo was bought to play either in centre mid, attacking mid or as right back depending on whom you believe but made one of the central defensive spots his own through world class defending. There have been many a world class tackle or interception saving points left right and centre. His genuine delight when he scores the occasional goal also brings a smile to my face. Remember that goal against Liverpool where he nutmeged Reina?

I worry about some aspects of the Ivory Coaster’s game, especially his relationship with Gallas, Having had to do this stupid team building rubbish I suggest that Wenger handcuffs the two together for a week so they get to know how each other think. I also feel that a 6” stone wall should be able to cover set pieces better than he can, this is a squad problem not just him but its comparatively easy in terms of some of the more complex areas of the defensive game.

I would also like Kolo to get his brother into the squad, Yaya is a good player and I think it would not only be cool having brothers in the team but it would also strengthen the squad defensively.
Arsenal News

Comments (3)

I WOULD LOVE TO SEE MIKAEL SILVESTRE AS CAPTAIN!! HE IS ARSENAL THROUGH AND THROUGH....why is he an option on there?

Nick,

He's probably on there because he's an experienced, solid players. Now, whilst I agree he wouldn't be the best choice, it's really not that stupid an idea. Why not comment on the article, which, by the way is excellent again. I added your site link on my Fab 4 Arsenal blog, as I see you've done me.

To Gooner Get Ya's author I was addressing in that last bit...