Squad Celebration: 2, Abou Diaby

Posted by Gooner Get Ya Wednesday 3 September 2008 22:15

The ‘New Viera’ as he has been touted is another one of the young Arsenal players who obviously has a huge amount of talent for their years. It is hard to think that he is only 22.

The Viera link must be pretty intimidating for such a young player but I think it makes sense, watching him run with the ball on the fuzzy screens of Youtube you could confuse the 2 of them. I am confident that he will be a star but I’m afraid it will take a lot to knock at the door of being anywhere near Viera, the greatest player of that type I have seen in my lifetime (21 years, just a pup!).

Diaby seems to have fallen from grace a bit over the last year. He has been unlucky with injuries (should be back for Blackburn though). Like a lot of our young players (Flamini, Eboue, Song, Walcott and a number of the kids) Wenger has played him in different positions, I think this is not only because of our never ending list of injuries, but also in an attempt to expand a players knowledge of how to read the game, seeing it from different perspectives. This has lead to Diaby being played on both wings, this has meant a drop in form as he is obviously not comfortable in the wide role but will benefit his game in the long run.

I would like to think that Abou is going to be Fabregas’ long term partner in the centre of the pitch. I think Diaby has the physical strength we need in what is a seriously lightweight midfield (Nasri, Cesc and Theo). He is not just a battering ram, his game is deep and he has a good eye and a hell of a shot. This will link with the Cesc role and be good...Think sting like a wasp float like a butterfly.

On another note I was criticised for my post regarding Eboue, I just want to clarify that I rate him as a player but I don't think he is worthy of Walcott or Sagna’s shirt. I also hate his diving NOT THE ARSENAL WAY!

10 days to Blackburn!

Arsenal News

Comments (2)

Great article. I really enjoy thes "Squad Celebration" articles. They are insightful and fun to read. Good job on the blog! Maybe if you have the time, you'll check out my blog at
http://fab4arsenal.blogspot.com
I just started it, but I hope to get some readers soon. Again, great job, can't wait for Fabregas!

Thanks very much, I have had a look at your blog and it looks tidy! I like the rating system, I was thinking about doing a potential system but thought it would get out of hand! thanks again for your kind words!
Gooner Get Ya